Ayush admin | Nov 24, 2020 | 497
The importance of herb ashwagandha
THE MAGICAL HERB ASHWAGANDHA
Ashwagandha scientifically known as withania somnifera is a powerful healing herb found in India, Middle East and in some regions of North Africa. Ashwagandha in Sanskrit means “the smell of a horse”, which means that this herb has the capabilities to impart the vigor and strength of a stallion. This herb is also supportive for sexual disorders among men and women.
History of Ashwagandha
The use of Ashwagandha in Ayurvedic medicine dates back to the ages of our Rishis. Punarvasu Athreya had used this herb thousands of years. Although, botanically unrelated, Ashwagandha is frequently referred to as “Indian Ginseng” because of its rejuvenating properties.
Ashwagandha is a plumb shrub with oval leaves and yellow flowers. It is of the size of a raisin and bears red fruit. The herb is native to the dry regions of India, northern Africa and Middle East. It is also grown in countries which have milder climate such as United States.
What kind of ailments can be treated by Ashwagandha?
- Ashwagandha improves thinking ability and reduces premature ageing.
- It is also used as an “adaptogen” to help the body cope with daily stress and a general tonic.
- It is also used to improve the sexual potency among men and women.
- It is applied to the skin for treating wounds, backache and paralysis.
- This wonder herb also stabilizes blood sugar and lower Cholestrol.
- It also contains anti-malarial property
- Ashwagandha has hormone balancing, anti-inflammatory, antioxidant properties which can prevent and treat a number of diseases.
- This exotic herb is also known to treat a variety of mental degenerative diseases and has demonstrated an ability to promote the growth of nerve cells and protect the brain cells.
- It calms the nervous system, eases stress and gets rid of sleeplessness.
- When used in shampoos, Ashwagandha helps to remove scalp circulation, strengthen hair and get rid of dandruff.
- It stimulates the production of melanin, the pigment responsible for the colour of your hair and treats hair loss. One of the most useful aspects of adaptogenic herbs like Ashwagandha is that it can help people with both ‘Hypo’ and ‘Hyper’ thyroid issues if administered by a professional Ayurvedic Doctor.